Six years after walking away from the British royal family, Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are quietly heading back, and the timing is the story. Page Six confirmed on August 20, 2026 that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex will return to Britain at the end of the month with their two children, Prince Archie, 7, and Princess Lilibet, 5, for what the outlet describes as an extended period. The kids are set to enroll in a British school. The return lands with Meghan’s mother, Doria Ragland, reportedly staying in California while the rest of the family relocates, and with the British commentariat already spinning theories about why the move is happening now and not two years ago.
The reporting on the timing has not been subtle. Page Six‘s lead story on the move leaned on royal commentator Kinsey Schofield, who runs the Kinsey Schofield Unfiltered podcast, and the framing was inheritance. Schofield, citing a palace source, said: There is a suspicion within Prince William’s orbit that Harry and Meghan understand the clock is ticking and want to re-establish their position, influence, and proximity to the monarchy while Charles is still King. The implication is straightforward. King Charles is 77. Prince William is the next in line. Whatever accommodation the Sussexes are going to get from the crown, the window is open now and may not stay open.
Page Six‘s second piece walked through the timeline of hints that have been building for over a year. The most obvious was Harry’s May 2025 interview with BBC News, in which he said he would love reconciliation with his family and that there was no point in continuing to fight. The most recent was the Sussexes’ reunion with King Charles and Queen Camilla in England, which landed in British papers just weeks before the move was confirmed. Page Six cited the BBC interview directly and the highland of reconciliation comments as the cleanest public signal. The house-hunting piece, also from Page Six, named Cotswolds near Highgrove, King Charles’s country estate, as the target area, citing royal commentator Tom Sykes, who said he was told earlier this year by a friend of Harry’s that the duke was planning to look at properties in the Cotswolds.
The Cotswolds location is doing real work in the story. Sykes noted that Harry grew up visiting Highgrove with his father and brother, and that he and Meghan rented a Cotswolds country home shortly after their 2018 wedding. The geography also creates distance from the Waleses. Prince William and Kate Middleton live about two hours away in Windsor, which is close enough for family contact but far enough to keep the two households separate. Page Six also confirmed that the Sussexes will reside in what it described as a non-royal property, which is the language the palace has been using to signal that the couple are not resuming working royal duties.
The palace-side reaction has been more pointed than the Sussex coverage. Schofield’s palace source said William and Kate have not forgotten what the Sussexes said about the family in the Oprah interview, the Harry and Meghan Netflix docuseries, and Harry’s Spare memoir. The same source called Harry and Meghan loose cannons, unpredictable, indiscreet and, critically, not always reliable narrators of events. Page Six also surfaced a counterpoint voice from Meghan McCain, who on her social channels called the Sussexes D-list royals and entitled grifters, framing the move as a grift rather than a reconciliation. The coverage is running the full political spectrum, with the British commentariat, the British tabloids, the American right, and the American celebrity press all taking positions in the same 48-hour cycle.
The UK side is handling it carefully. UK Prime Minister Andy Burnham, asked about the security arrangements for the returning Sussexes, told Page Six the matter was a private one and did not get into specifics. That is the standard posture for UK officials on royal family matters. The security question is real and unresolved. The Sussexes lost publicly funded protection when they stepped back from royal duties in 2020, and the ongoing legal fight over privately funded security has been a running sore. A return to the UK with the children in school is a fresh test of that arrangement.
For context, the broader arc is the Megxit anniversary. Page Six ran a parallel piece on the eight burning questions the return raises six years after the couple quit working royal duties. Most of those questions, security funding, the children’s titles, William and Harry’s relationship, whether Charles will publicly meet the Sussexes on UK soil, whether the Sussexes will pick up any patronages, are unresolved on the day of the announcement. That is the newsroom test of the move. The Sussexes can frame it as a family reconciliation. The palace can frame it as a private visit. The school enrollment is the only fact that has been confirmed in print.
For BuzzWire’s read: this is the biggest royal story of 2026 and the page that broke it was a US celebrity outlet, not a British tabloid. Page Six is part of the New York Post family, which is the same News Corp stable as the Times, the Sun, and the Wall Street Journal, so the reporting has British tabloid DNA in it. The Sussex return is real. The Sussex reconciliation is the question. The next 30 days will answer it.